Is everyone excited for Valentine's? I know I am! The hubs and I usually celebrate at home with a yummy meal, this year I'm thinking short ribs. Are you all cooking anything special?
Last Friday I had a few girls over for a Valentine's dinner and made these precious mini pies. They were so fun to make and while a little time consuming, the outcome both in look and taste was worth it.
P.S. - These muffins would make an excellent Valentine's breakfast! If you make a batch bring me one, ok?
|Heart-Shaped Mini Pies via The Chic Life|
Heart-Shaped Mini Pies from The Chic Life
- 1 pie crust (use store-bought or your favorite recipe)
- 2 cups strawberries, diced very small
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- flour (for rolling out pie crust)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- sugar (for sprinkling on top of the pies)
- While your pie crust chills, combine strawberries, sugar, and corn starch in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or aluminum foil with a light coat of non-stick spray)
- When pie crust is ready, lightly dust a large flat surface for rolling out your dough with flour. Add your pie crust. Rub flour on rolling pin. Roll pie crust out to a pretty thin level (between 1/4 – 1/8 inch thick), turning dough as you go so it doesn’t stick. Use a 2 1/2″ heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out heart-shaped pieces of dough.
- Move half of the pieces of pie dough to the prepared baking sheet. For each mini pie: Brush dough with egg wash, top with strawberry mixture (try to avoid adding liquid as you go), top with another piece of dough, matching edges and pressing to seal. Press on the edges with the ends of a fork to help seal. Repeat for the rest of the mini pies.
- Cut small slits into the tops of each mini pie, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Allow each batch to cool before eating.
*I used a store bought pie crust from Trader Joe's and it took about 30-40 minuets to thaw out.
*I rinsed/dried/diced my strawberries the night before, so feel free to do that to save on time.
*I got about 20 or so mini pies from this recipe.