Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Black Bean Chicken Tacos

Sooo have I mentioned the new love in my life? His name is Tripp and he is precious. Tripp is the son of my dear friends and he is just two weeks old. I had the pleasure of cooking dinner for Tripp's sweet parents, (see Tripp's Mama's blog here) last week and I made this. Gina's recipes never disappoint so I had a feeling this one would be a winner.

I say it all the time, but friends utlize your slow-cooker if you have one. I popped this in at lunch and then all I had to do when I got home from work/work-out was shred the chicken, easy peasy. The sliced avocadas on this are a must by the way.

Enjoy!

via Skinnytaste.com


Slow Cooker Black Bean and Chicken Tacos slightly adapted Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4

Ingredients:


  • 12 oz raw skinless chicken tenders or breast
  • 15 oz can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed (Goya)
  • 10 oz can tomatoes with mild green chiles or fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • 3/4 tsp plus 1/8th tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp oregano 
For the Taco:

  • 12 crisp corn taco shells or tortillas
Optional toppings: 
  • 1 medium haas avocado, sliced 

Directions:

Season chicken with pinch of salt, garlic powder, oregano, 1/8 tsp of the chili powder and 1/8th tsp cumin. 
Add the beans and tomatoes to the crock pot and season with the remaining chili powder and cumin. 

Place chicken in the crock pot and cover. Cook on HIGH 2 hours.

Remove chicken from the crock pot and shred with two forks. Drain beans and transfer to a platter, or back to the crock pot to keep warm.

To serve, warm the taco shells or tortillas and fill with equal amounts of bean and chicken mixture. Top with your favorite toppings

1 comment:

  1. Awe thank you sweet Nat! These were so delicious and we ate all the left overs! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete