Monday, June 18, 2012

A Twist on Chicken Salad

First off I don't even like chicken salad, I really never have. However, I've recently tasted a few varieties (Central Market PLEASE bring back your Grilled Pesto Chicken Salad!) that I've liked so I wanted to try my hand at making one in the kitchen. It was perfect timing when I read this post over at How Sweet It Is.

One of the main things I loved about this recipe is that it can be made entirely the day before, LOVE when you can do that. I did make a few changes, mainly that I didn't toast the buns or melt the cheese because I was serving this to multiple people and everyone has different preferences. I also added some cayenne into the mixture right before serving thanks to my friend Lisa's suggestion. Next time I would add cayenne into the dressing!

Hope you all enjoy this! It's great to feed a crowd and budget friendly too!

Southwestern Chicken Salad Slider Melts via How Sweet It Is



makes about 12 slider sandwiches
1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and shredded (I boiled mine in chicken broth and then shredded)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup black beans
1/3 cup sweet corn (I used grilled corn from the ready-made section of our local Central Market)
3/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3-4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced (I cut the deli slices in half to more fit the slider size)
12 slider buns, dinner rolls, or bread slices (I used whole wheat)
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Throw in onions, peppers and 1/4 teaspoon salt, mixing to combine. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until vegetables have softened. Remove from heat and let cool a bit. In a large bowl, combine chicken, onions + peppers, black beans and corn, mixing well.
In a smaller bowl, combine greek yogurt, remaining salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika and cilantro, mixing well. Add yogurt to the chicken mixture, stirring well to coat and combine. You can eat/serve your chicken salad in a traditional way, or to make the sliders, toast the bread or buns, scoop a few spoonfuls of the chicken salad on top of one bun, add some cheddar slices, then pop under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until cheese is melted and chicken is warm. Top with bun and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment