Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summertime and the Fruit is Yummy!

Corny title I know, I'll get better at titling my posts eventually, but for now they will stay on the lame side. Last night we had the pleasure of going to dinner at my dear friends parents house (Side note my dear friend Emily lives in NYC, but we still go enjoy family dinners at her parents home without her...pretty great right? ) and my contribution was a dessert. I knew I wanted to make a fruit based crisp or pie so off to Pinterest I went. I had had this crisp saved for awhile and decided to go for it since I knew that strawberries were so yum right now. I also was drawn to it because I have never tasted or baked with rhubarb. Well this was a hit! SO yum!

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp via Skinny Taste



Ingredients:

For the filling:
  • 1 lb strawberries, hulled and quartered
  • 1 lb rhubarb stalks (about 5 or 6) cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 orange, zested and juiced
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
For the Topping:
  • 1 cup Quaker quick oats
  • 1/2 cup 100% white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, not packed
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries and rhubarb in an oven safe dish.
Add agave nectar (or honey)...
Then orange juice and orange zest; sprinkle with cornstarch and toss until fruit is well coated.
Mix remaining ingredients for the topping in a medium bowl then spread over fruit.
Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling, about 40 minutes.


A scoop of vanilla ice cream on this is a must! And this can be made ahead of time if need be!



No comments:

Post a Comment