Monday, March 19, 2012

Perfect In-Law Meal!

I had the joy of hosting my sweet in-laws for dinner last Thursday night and I was so happy with how my menu turned out! We had a delicious and nutritious meal, but not one that tasted uber healthy which is always a plus. I served a Lightened Up version of Chicken Tetrazzini and Green Salad with Clementines. The biggest winner about this meal was that I could make the tetrazzini completely ahead and of time and then just pop it in the oven, SO easy and nice also to then be able to actually talk with your guests instead of being in the kitchen when they arrive. I also put out some sliced bread (multi grain baguette) and served my favorite hummus from Central Market (Lemon Artichoke) with some chips for an appetizer beforehand. I once heard a tip and I can't remember from where now, but that when entertain store buy either your appetizer or your dessert to make things a little easier on you!

Lightened Up Chicken Tetrazzini from Ingredients, Inc.

Lightened Up Chicken Tetrazzini

Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Ingredients
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
12 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
11/2 cups grated fresh Parmesan cheese
8 ounces cooked whole wheat angel hair pasta
21/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 325F.

2. Cook onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, salt and pepper in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 4 minutes or until slightly tender. Add flour and cook 5 minutes. Gradually add broth and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add cream cheese and Parmesan, stirring with a whisk. Stir in chicken, mixing well. Add chicken mixture to pasta, tossing gently.

2. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7- inch baking dish.

3. Melt butter in skillet. Brown panko breadcrumbs in skillet 2 minutes. Sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

I also served a green salad that was a spin off of a delicious and fresh salad I had had a few weeks ago at dear family friends of ours. Marinda (the mom/wife/most amazing cook) always has the best dishes and this salad rocked! I used this recipe for my starting off point.

Green Salad with Clementines (Serves 4)

Ingredients for Salad
1 box mixed greens of your choice
4 clementines (Sliced into segments/peeled)
Small handful of Tours Mix (BEST seed mix for salads from Fort Worth's Vending Nut Company, get it here!)
Feta (Eyeball it to your liking, I used fat-free)

Ingredients for Dressing


  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic (I used the granulated garlic that I keep in the fridge)




  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (3 limes for me)




  • 6 tablespoons olive oi1




  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar





  • Whisk all ingredients together to make the dressing and set aside. Put all ingredients for salad together in a big bowl and toss with dressing. Dressing could easily be made ahead of time!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment