Saturday, May 26, 2012

The HUBS Cleared His Whole Plate!

I'm sure my husband is cringing at this title, BUT I knew this was a winner of a dish when he finished his plate so quickly. I've talked before about how I'm not a casserole person before,  but I like to try them from time to time because they are convenient and normally a budget friendly meal. I had pinned this recipe awhile back from Debbi Does Dinner (Great blog on low calorie meals!) and had a good excuse to make it this week. I made a few tweaks...hope you all enjoy!

Brown Rice Casserole from Debbie Does Dinner


Brown Rice Casserole Recipe Adapted from Debbie Does Dinner

1 large onion, chopped
1 pepper, green, chopped
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Spice
1 lb. Italian Chicken Sausage
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (Uncle Ben's Ready Brown Rice is REAL handy here)
3/4 cup cheese (I used fresh grated parm and didn't use the whole 3/4 cup)

Saute the sausage until almost done.  Add the chopped onion and pepper and saute until meat is done and veggies are getting soft.  Add the Italian seasoning and cook for another minute.  Add the rice and stir.  Put the mixture into a casserole dish. I used a 9 x 13 and it was pretty thin, you could use an 8 x 8 for a thicker casserole.  Sprinkle cheese on top. Put the casserole into oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until cheese is melted all is hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment