Monday, January 23, 2012

Easy Monday Night Dinner Idea!

Happy Monday friends! I usually always try to cook on Monday nights, we really like to be home to start off the week and I usually am always cooking up something healthy. (Usually because I always over indulge on the weekends, this weekend I have my friend Katie's AH-mazing iced sugar cookies to blame!!!)

So on tonight's menu are my Baked Turkey Meatballs with a VERY easy Homemade Tomato Sauce. I found the meatball recipe over at The Healthy Housewife (LOVE this blog!) and its a keeper. The sauce recipe came from the back of a pasta box that my Mama gave me. I usually get the meatballs all prepped and rolled the night before and then bake them right before dinner. While the meatballs are baking I make the sauce and then usually also saute some zucchini and squash for a veggie side.

Turkey Meatballs via The Healthy Housewife



Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1/3 cup diced onion
1/3 cup Italian breadcrumb
2 tablespoon granulated garlic (Using fresh minced garlic is fine)
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk (Doesn't matter what kind, I usually use 1% because its what I drink)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon basil (I use dried)
1/2 teaspoon oregano (I use dried)
1 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients for in a bowl. Mix thoroughly with your fingers to make the mixture as uniform as possible, without overworking the meat. Roll into approximately 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve as is, or with your favorite sauce!
And here is the recipe for my favorite tomato sauce, its SO easy!
Easy Homemade Spicy Tomato Sauce
Ingredients
1 can crushed tomatoes (the larger can is what I usually use)
EVOO
Minced Garlic
Red Pepper Flakes
Heat a large skillet or pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. I usually just use enough to coat the pan, once the oil has a sheen to it and is hot drop in a few cloves of minced garlic (The more the better in my opinion!) and let it saute for a bit, but don't burn. Then add the can of crushed tomatoes and a few shakes of red pepper flakes (Careful with the flakes, a little goes a long way!) and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer for 20 to 25 minutes and then you are DONE.
Serve the meatballs with the sauce and sprinkle a little fresh parm cheese over for a nice touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment