Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Current Favorite Lunchtime Meal

This recipe below has become one of my all time favorite things to make for weekday lunches and I've turned so many of my girlfriends onto this recipe too. It keeps super well in the fridge and the ingredients aren't expensive either, two big pluses. I found this recipe over at With Style and Grace, LOVE Lisa's blog. Happy cooking!

Summer "Chopped" Chickpea Salad from With Style & Grace 


Chickpea and Basil Salad
{Recipe adapted from Mountain Mama Cooks}

Ingredients

  • 14 oz can garbanzo (chickpeas) beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved 
  • 1 english cucumber, diced or quartered
  • 3 scallions, diced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice – about 2 lemons
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt + pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • feta cheese, crumbled (optional)

Directions

In a large bowl combine garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, and bell pepper. To make the dressing, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Drizzle dressing over bean and vegetable mix. Season with salt and pepper. If you can, let this marinate for about 6-8 hours before serving. Trust me, it’s much better after it sits. When your ready to enjoy, top with basil & feta cheese – if you like.
Eat alone, with pasta, over a salad or mixed with chicken (in your pasta)

My Changes/Notes
 - Any color bell pepper will work
- I throw in a few red pepper flakes for a kick, but CAREFUL a little goes a long way
- I usually use dried basil instead of fresh but just about 1 teaspoon
- I always add the feta but use fat-free or reduced-fat, you really can't taste the difference

2 comments:

  1. This is the best salad ever!! I make it Sunday nights and have it for lunch the rest of the week. It never gets old, and is suprisingly very filling!! Thanks for the great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum Natalie! I am so excited that your recipes are going to be in a blog now :) YAY! and so cute!

    ReplyDelete