Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Skinny Lemon Bars


Yes yes the menu items are still coming from the wonderful baby shower I helped host for my SIL. As I mentioned earlier this week, I was trying to do a mix of healthy and decadent on the menu so there was a little something for everyone. These skinny lemon bars were our healthier dessert, even though I much prefer the decadent dessert I baked, these lemon bars were still delicious. They have a very strong lemon flavor, but hey they are lemon bars after all.

We served what's becoming my famous egg casserole at the baby shower too, it NEVER disappoints and is always a crowd pleaser. Another host, the same one who made these Nutella beauties also made this fruit salad, which will be my go-to fruit salad after tasting it. One girlfriend (Hi Britt!) had recommended this fruit salad to me, then I had told Little Miss Wade about it, and she has already made it several times because it was such a hit, so I knew it HAD to go on the baby shower menu.

And I clearly got off topic, here's the recipe for the lemon bars, enjoy!

Skinny Lemon Bars - The Skinny Fork


Skinny Lemon Bars from The Skinny Fork

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 C. Whole Wheat White Flour
1/3 C. Stevia in the Raw
1/8 Tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt
1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
4 Tbsp. Butter, Room Temperature

Filling:
4 Eggs
1 C. Stevia in the Raw
1/3 C. Sugar
1 C.  Fresh Lemon Juice

Powdered Sugar

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with nonstick spray.

Combine flour, stevia, salt, yogurt, lemon zest, vanilla and butter together in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix with the whisk attachment or with an electric beater until sandy like crumbs begin to form.

Press the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned along the edges.

While the crust is baking, whisk together the filling ingredients until well combined and starting to froth slightly.

Once done, remove the crust from the oven and pour the filling over the top, allow any froth to settle before baking. Bake for another 20 minutes or until the filling is set and doesn't jiggle when the dish is gently shaken.

Allow to cool completely and cut into squares. Top with a little powdered sugar for garnish.


No comments:

Post a Comment